Saturday, September 18, 2010

Friday Night Sew-In

The busier I get, the more I fantasize about knitting/sewing/creative pursuits. It's a general rule around here that during exams I do more blog browsing or knitting than at any other time! Since clerkship started, my creative output has taken a bit of a hit. I'm currently on a surgical rotation, and after spending 80 hours in the hospital this week and coming across a "Friday Night Sew In" on Heidi's blog, I knew it was the perfect way to end the week.

My initial plan was to work on this quilt I started earlier this summer:


It's the Stacked Coins baby quilt pattern from Moda's Bakeshop. Despite lots of efforts, my quilting is still a work in progress.

However, after getting invited a birthday party for my favorite set of 10 year old triplets, I decided to make them wallets instead. The idea came from a wallet I made for myself a few weeks ago, as I was desperate to replace the ugly first aid kit medical recruitment propaganda turned change purse that I'd been carrying around since the zipper broke on my last wallet, oh, about a year ago.

This was the result:


Scrounging through my newbie fabric stash, it was a bit of a challenge to find something suitable for three very different 10 year olds!

I finished stitching the top of this owl pillow:


And here's a kitchen mat I made a few weeks ago to replace my old ratty one:


I took a knitting break to work on a little neck scarf:


Other knitting projects on the go include a second Ishbel done in Malabrigo Lace, some plain socks in Trekking XXL, and a pair of Hedgerow socks knit in some Regia sock yarn that has been kicking around my stash for about 8 years now.



The verdict: a Friday Night Sew In is the perfect antidote to a hectic week. I'll have to do this more often!

5 comments:

Marie said...

love the bags...i'm amazed you have time to sew, you are busy chick! keep up the hard work ...

Don said...

Hi Jess,

Nice work as always. Glad to know that you are making a bit of time for yourself and the things you love do do during your very busy schedule.

Love you lots!

Dad

Wendy said...

Wow, you got SO much done, makes my little effort look pathetic! The wallets are lovely, did they like them? I adore the fabric you used. The owl pillow is just adorable.

Heather said...

It's so nice to see that you're feeding your soul with handwork (as well as the outdoor adventures you manage to squeeze in!)...very suitable pursuits to complement your exciting and demanding work days!
Everything is lovely, and the girls will adore those little change purses. They could be used for so many things...like knitting notions, LOL.
The mat is tres cute!
xoxo Mom

Aunt Marie said...

Hi Jessie,
So nice to see a new post from you. I love the quilt! Missed you when I saw your family earlier this week -- hope to see you soon.
Love ya,
Aunt Marie